• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee's Right to Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

magsnet

I am sales and was fired the day I was going to quit. They told me in the conference room and would not let me return to my office to collect my personal belongings. They packed my things and went through my daytimer and brief case and took business related and personal items. I felt totally humiliated and violated and could not understand the lack of professional conduct. If I violate my non-compete agreement, they have a right to sue, but do they have the right go through my personal property and not allow me to be present when they pack my belongings? Looking for advise right away on if they can take those rights away.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

OOHHH, THEY CAN'T DO THAT: THEY ARE NOT THE POLICE NOR DID THEY GET THE POLICE INVOLVED SAY IT WAS OKAY --> NO POLICE, NO SEARCH WARRANT.

What they did amounted to invasion of privacy, trespass, conversion and possible theft.

You need to seek an attorney immediately: call your state bar and ask for a lawyer referral program or attorneypages.com and ask for an attorney who is wise in employment labor law and the types of tortious acts I just described above.

Hope this helps.

M

magsnet

Thanks, a lot Lawrat. Appreciate the counsel. Any other input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Z

ZC

I am not a lawyer or a graduate of law school. Undergrad from a criminal justice program, very interested in law, and just a person who worked for a company that performs the same treatment to those who are terminated as your previous employer. First off, I feel termination procedures as such cause disgruntled employees who cause shoot-em-up news clips at eleven (definitely don't go that route). I do understand that a company is entitled to clean out your desk and computer as it is “company property” and not your own. On the other hand if they are taking things out of your personal bags and/or laptop systems (as long as it belonged to you and not the company) then they are definitely invading your privacy. The hardest thing you have ahead of you is how do you prove it???? Talk to a goooood lawyer and I am sure they will have a field day with the company. Maybe a couple threatening litigation letters and the company may want to offer you a nice form of severance, who knows? Call your local Barr Association and ask for a referral explaining your situation. Referrals are cheap and a good way to get professional advice. Then you would have to go whatever the next step may be. That's when you start paying. It depends on the lawyer. Good luck.

M

magsnet

Thanks ZC. I would say the proof is in the fact that many items were missing from my personal belongings and someone there packed my things without allowing me to be a witness. I believe that was why they did not want me to be present. They could have allowed me to be present and asked to look in my briefcase or daytimer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">