• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employees time off/health ins premium

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdixon12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

We are having a problem with employees taking alot of sick and unrequested time off. Our small business pays 60% of their health ins and the employee pay 40%. My question is can we make the employee pay 100% of the premium if they don't work 30 hours a week?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Given your size, and given that FMLA does not apply, you are *probably* okay with this. However, for two reasons I don't advise it. Reason number 1, Maryland has some quirky laws regarding employee benefits and I can't be certain that this won't fall afoul of some obscure statute, and reason number 2, even for only 16 employees this would be a nightmare to administrate.

Do you have reason to believe that your employees are abusing paid time off? If so, I have some alternate suggestions.

(How many of these 16 employees are exempt?)

bdixon12

No, it's not paid time off. We only have 8 employees that elect ins benefits and there are only a few that seem to abuse the time off.
Thank you for your advice.

ecmst12

Enforce disciplinary measures up to and including termination against the abusers. If you fire them, you won't have to pay for ANY of their benefits!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then I would suggest that instead of playing around with the health insurance premium, you start cracking down on the offenders. If you have not already done so, establish what you want to do about time off; how much is allowed, how much notice is needed (make allowances for emergencies) etc. Then make a company wide announcement; this is what is permitted; this is what is not permitted. This is what will happen if you violate policy. It wouldn't hurt to put it in writing and get every employee to sign it.

Then, when someone takes unapproved time or exceeds their allowed time, follow whatever disciplinary procedures you've set in motion. Be prepared for second and third offenses. Be prepared to terminate if you've said you will. I promise, you won't have to terminate more than one or two before the rest will realize that you mean what you say and start shaping up.

Also, this way if you DO have to terminate someone, you're on firm ground when they apply for unemployment.

bdixon12

Exactly what needs to be done. Unfortunately, it's not my call, but will forward the advice! Thanks so much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">