• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employement Training Costs for not completing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ray82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state is Tennessee. I lived in Ohio at the time of the training. Company and Summons are out of Indiana.

College got tight and I had to drop off and look for a fast career with quick money. Nothing was hiring in my area so I scrounged through the paper for a quick job.

A trucking company was hiring and paying for training in my area and I signed up for it over the phone completely. No face to face.

I got to the training school (TDDS Tech) and they had me fill out papers for another training center (C1 Professional Training Center.) that has verbage along the lines of if I do not complete the training I pay $725.00 .

Two weeks into the training I was told that the trucking company trains us and tries to get us to lease trucks after training. If we do not lease a truck they do not give you loads or you are secondary to the ones that do lease.

I got cold feet and dropped. I paid the TDDS Tech school 3085 to finish my training. I have receipt.

I understand I signed the printed on paper (Looks like something you'd type in word.), but it seems like there is some allowance for looking for a job. Every job has people sign off on everything and if you tell someone no they just move on to the next person.

I can't believe I am being held up for $725.00 .

At first, I let it go because they are right I did sign. It's been on my credit for 2+ years now.

But, why am I just now getting another summons for the same thing again? Are they looking to put it on my credit again?

Can I just call a lawyer up in Indianapolis to appear for me? It's small claims court and says I can on the summons. Is it worth it? What's to stop them from calling me to court for the same 725.00 a third time?

How much can they add to the 725? They are looking for that and other reasonable costs.

Thanks.

EDIT: This all happened back in June 2005.

Last edited:

Ray82

Nope. I did not. I already settled this account. Just called them and paid.

I had signed that jurisdiction was in Indiana when I signed the original contract.

There is no way for me to get up there and judge would default grant them "reasonable costs."

SO i figured it would be best to just pay it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">