• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer automatically raises 401k contribution annually

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tikado

State: OH
For the last two years, my employer has sent annual notices saying that they will automatically raise all employees contributions by 1% and that anyone who wishes to maintain their current contribution % must contact this year's 3rd Part y Administrator to opt-out of the increase. Twice now, I've contact both the 3PA and my HR department requesting to remain unaltered for both the current year's and all future auto-increases. HR has said that I must contact the third party annually, even after the 3PA has failed to remove me from the auto-increase. (They increased my withholding % even after using their web opt-out form and phone contact to confirm). Do I have any other options or shall I just accept this? Sincere thanks in advance, Tikado

Beth3

So DID you contact the 3PA this year go opt out of the contribution increase? I imagine your employer's Plan Document specifies that each participant must affirmatively opt of the contribution increase out each and every year - you can't do a "blanket" opt-out.

After the 3PA goofed last year and your contribution was increased, did you call them and tell them they screwed up? If so, what did they say?

Tikado

Yes, I contacted the 3PA through both their preferred web-form and again by phone to confirm the web-form (as it had an extremely and admittedly counter-intuitive interface).

"I imagine your employer's Plan Document specifies that each participant must affirmatively opt of the contribution increase out each and every year - you can't do a "blanket" opt-out."

Yes, a conversation with HR confirmed this.

"After the 3PA goofed last year and your contribution was increased, did you call them and tell them they screwed up? If so, what did they say?"

I have not yet heard back from HR, who addresses it presently.

Beth3

If HR is looking into this for you, you need to wait and see what they advise regarding the resolution. If it's been a while and you haven't heard anything back, follow-up with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">