• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer benifit Question..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigHell

New York State.

I have working for my employer for 10 months now. I resigned from my previous job and excepted this one because of the medical package they were offering. After 90 days of service I was suppose to be provided with 100% employer paid medical coverage and to date, that has not happened. I have made several phone calls and sent a dozens emails to my supervisor and HR director asking about it and my question goes unanswered. I don't know what to do now. I left a job making more money and had medical coverage even though I was paying for it. I do not have anything now. Any advise greatly appreciated.

BigHell

ecmst12

You would have needed to enroll within 30 days of becoming eligible, did they provide you with an enrollment packet or instructions? Did you ask for it from HR?

BigHell

You would have needed to enroll within 30 days of becoming eligible, did they provide you with an enrollment packet or instructions? Did you ask for it from HR?
I was never handed an enrollement packet when hired but it is written in my offer letter for employment. So right after when my 90 days were up I have been asking about my medical coverage and some other benefits like my 401K. I even have emails from my HR director telling me there is nothing she can do abot it.

ecmst12

Nothing she can do about what? There should have been open enrollment for the whole company sometime in the last few months, what was the procedure for that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is potentially a very serious issue for the employer. What reason does the HR director give?

BigHell

I was never handed an enrollement packet when hired but it is written in my offer letter for employment. So right after when my 90 days were up I have been asking about my medical coverage and some other benefits like my 401K. I even have emails from my HR director telling me there is nothing she can do abot it.
That never happened with me.

BigHell

This is potentially a very serious issue for the employer. What reason does the HR director give?
I am a building superintendent. The staff I supervise are union employees. I am considered management. The union and my company are under contract negotiation. When I ask about my coverage to HR they said that not until a contract is agreed upon that they have no answers for me. I replied that if I am not a union member what does contract negotiatons have to do with me and that is when they said they have no further answerer's for me.

Its have been 8 month that I dont have coverage and I have a family. What really screws me up is that my position come with an apartment. I gave up my last position with a much larger salary with family benefits, my apartrment and I moved, all because I was interested in apt (naturally) but mainly the 100% employer paid medical.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, here is what you need to do.

You need to ask for a copy of the Summary Plan Description for the health insurance plan. They are required by law to give it to you if you ask. They may refer you to a website where you can read it on line, and that's okay, but they need to put you in touch with it on request.

If they refuse to give it to you, come back here and I'll give you the next step. If they do give it to you, or point you to a website where you can read it, post back here and type in EVERY SINGLE WORD, exactly as presented, of who is an eligible employee. We'll go from there.

BigHell

Okay, here is what you need to do.

You need to ask for a copy of the Summary Plan Description for the health insurance plan. They are required by law to give it to you if you ask. They may refer you to a website where you can read it on line, and that's okay, but they need to put you in touch with it on request.

If they refuse to give it to you, come back here and I'll give you the next step. If they do give it to you, or point you to a website where you can read it, post back here and type in EVERY SINGLE WORD, exactly as presented, of who is an eligible employee. We'll go from there.

Thank you for your time and advice.

First thing Monday morning I will e-mail my HR director asking for the above. I wil touch base again on Monday.

Thanks Again.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
One further question which might or might not be pertinent - is the union currently operating under the expired contract until the negotiations are resolved, and how long have negotiations been going on? I understand that you are managment and not affected by the negotiations.

BigHell

One further question which might or might not be pertinent - is the union currently operating under the expired contract until the negotiations are resolved, and how long have negotiations been going on? I understand that you are managment and not affected by the negotiations.
They are operating under the agreement of the old contract. They have been in negotiations since March 2012. And I agree, the Union contract should have nothing to do with me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay. That's good. It might help you - it won't harm you. When you're able to get the SPD (or alternately if they refuse to give it to you) come back to me and we'll take the next step.

BigHell

Okay. That's good. It might help you - it won't harm you. When you're able to get the SPD (or alternately if they refuse to give it to you) come back to me and we'll take the next step.

Hey CBG,

News update.. I emailed my Hr director last night asking for a copy of the SPD. I received a phone call this morning from my supervisor saying that I will have my medical coverage in a couple of week. I didnt cc my supervisor in my email I sent to HR and the phone call came from know where. I guess they figured I am taking to someone. Ill see though, talk is talk...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">