• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer cancelled insurance with no notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LifeorDeath

What is the name of your state? TX

I changed jobs in July 2003 to a company that did not have health insurance benefits. I am a cancer survivor and it was (and is) imperative that insurance coverage be intact and continuous. The new employer agreed to pay my COBRA premium in lieu of health coverage while he searched for a company health plan. Under this agreement, the COBRA bill was sent directly to my employer and he paid the premium each month as agreed. In April 2004 a piece of mail was misdirected to my desk and it was a notice that my COBRA policy had expired for non-payment..a fact that I was completely unaware of and would have continued to be unaware of had the communication not been misdirected.

I approached my employer and he said he would take care of it but the outcome was that it was too late to recover the COBRA plan. It was also beyond the 63-day period allowed for creditable coverage that would have allowed me to obtain new coverage without an exemption for pre-existing conditions. My employer stated that he would expedite getting a health plan in place and interviewed several insurance professionals but no plan was ever placed. When I attempted to obtain private coverage, I was told by an insurance professional that it is likely that I may never be able to obtain insurance without an exclusion rider for cancer.

My last scan was in December of 2004 (when I was 2 1/2 years post cancer) and at that time there was no sign of the return of the disease. I am now symptomatic and cannot even obtain a scan unless I pay full price up front since I am uninsured. I simply don't have the money to afford that and frankly, I'm scared.

Has my employer acted unlawfully and, if so, to what degree has he become liable.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you have a bona fide contract that guaranteed the employer would pay your COBRA? And why did you wait two years to inquire?

COBRA is only for 18 months. Even if he had paid it every month, it would be expired by now.

LifeorDeath

I'm sorry...my comment referencing 2 1/2 years was misleading. That was a reference to the fact that cancer survival is based on a 5-year period with no sign of disease. I am still in a very vulnerable period of health as only half that timeframe had expired at the time of my last scan.

My COBRA coverage began in July 2003 when I changed jobs and would have expired in December 2005. My employer was aware that I was in remission and that I could not accept the job offer unless insurance coverage was provided. His solution was to pay the COBRA premium while he shopped for a health plan for the company at which time I would join that plan and discontinue COBRA coverage.

This is a small manufacturing company and formality is not the order of the day. I do have a written agreement to the terms we agreed upon (i.e., job title and description, pay rate, personal time, and the terms of insurance coverage). However, that is not a signed document.

Does the fact that he paid the COBRA premium for ten months and continued to deduct an agreed upon 20% employee contribution from my paycheck for four additional months (beyond when he stopped paying the premium) establish that he did, in fact, agree to provide the coverage and that he did not give me any notice that he intended to cease payment?

ecmst12

Seems to me like you should consult an attorney...complicated situation that needs individual review.

Betty

Your employer should not have deducted your 20% COBRA contribution for the four months he didn't pay his part.
A written agreement re ins. terms helps but it would have been best if it was dated & signed. Like ecmst12 suggested, you should run the entire situation by a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">