• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer charging for benefits past termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maryberry

I work in Washington State.
I left my job last November. I had medical benefits through work, which I assumed has been cancelled the month my employment was terminated. This week I was informed my then-boss that they had forgotten to cancel my medical insurance and had been mistakenly been paying the premiums since then. They then asked me to reimburse them for the money they had spent. I told them that my portion of the premium was taken out of my last paycheck (in November) and did not ask, or want, the insurance to continue. I want to know if my previous employer can force me to pay for the premium that they forgot to cancel. Edit: I had no idea that the insurance had continued and did not use it past the date of termination.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I work in Washington State.
I left my job last November. I had medical benefits through work, which I assumed has been cancelled the month my employment was terminated. This week I was informed my then-boss that they had forgotten to cancel my medical insurance and had been mistakenly been paying the premiums since then. They then asked me to reimburse them for the money they had spent. I told them that my portion of the premium was taken out of my last paycheck (in November) and did not ask, or want, the insurance to continue. I want to know if my previous employer can force me to pay for the premium that they forgot to cancel. Edit: I had no idea that the insurance had continued and did not use it past the date of termination.
Your employer can likely report your actual termination date and be reimbursed (credited) for the premiums.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But they'd better get on it in a hurry because most health plans won't accept cancellations past 90 days.

Query - did you get offered COBRA?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">