• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer error in paid time off accrual

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoesmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Tennessee

I think my employer may have been calculating my paid time off (hours accrued per pay period) incorrectly for the past 5 years. I think maybe my PTO hours have been accruing at a HIGHER rate than what my employer gives for employees with my number years of service. According to information I obtained recently, I won't actually be eligible for the higher rate of PTO accrual until next year. During the past years I have relied on the PTO accrual statment at the bottom of my paycheck, and have been using/saving my PTO hours in reliance on that figure. My goal has been to accumulate a "bank" of 4 weeks PTO, but to use enough hours to avoid getting into "use it or lose it" status.

What is my obligation with regard to the possible error by my employer? If it really is an error, do I have to "give back" the overage? I estimate the value of the PTO hours to be about $8,000. If they take back the extra hours, I will then have a PTO deficit, instead of the 4-weeks I believed I had earned.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">