• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer failed to Enroll me in state pension plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JordanR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

In April 2013 was terminated a state of NJ institution. In September 2013 I decided to withdraw my ABP 401a and sent the forms to my former employer. When I followed up on the request, the benefits coordinator told me she sent the form to NJ Div. of Pensions and Benefits. When I contacted the state, they told me they did not have me in their system. After 5 weeks of e-mails and unanswered phone messages a received the following e-mail response: { I am researching this issue which is why you have not heard from me. It appears that your original pension enrollment application was not processed at the State. That is why they cannot locate you in their system. I need to retrieve your file and send them a copy of your original application so they can sign off on your withdrawal forms.
I am floating from campus to campus each day, so it may take longer than usual to get this resolved. I will keep you posted once we have located your file and forwarded the necessary paperwork to the State} Should I be worried?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Was not processed" does not necessarily translate to "employer failed to enroll me" btw. It can translate to "someone at the pension board screwed up" as well.

I am asking this question for a reason. How long did you work for the institution in question?

FlyingRon

Were deductions made from your paycheck? I'm trying to remember back to the years I worked for Rutgers before I got promoted into a position where I could use TIAA/CREF rather than the state retirement.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't have time to review the state website now but I'm wondering about vesting. It is possible to be vested at three years but it is also possible that vesting, or at least 100% vesting, (depending on whether it's cliff vesting or step vesting) does not take place until five years or even ten years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">