• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer failed to provide COBRA notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dinoc

What is the name of your state? AL

My former employer told me on the day of my termination that I had to get continuation information from the care provider (Blue Cross). This was obviously wrong I came to find I after repeated inquiries to the old employer getting nowhere I asked Blue Cross to contact my old employers agent so the agent may tell them of their obligations. My employers plan is administered by them, not by anyone outside.

After confirming with the employer that the agent contacted them, I was told I would be receiving my election letter shortly. It was not until 67 days after the qualifying event that I finally received rate information and election letter, following yet another pair of inquiries by me.

I am reading the regulations and penalties from a non-government website, but I have gathered that it was the employers obligation to provide notice within 14 days, and if in violation there are fines of $100 per day per IRS excise tax and $110 per day per beneficiary payable to the beneficiary (me) under ERISA.

I would like to recover these fines and fees and would like to confirm that this is accurate information. Could the former employer be liable for my court costs and attorney fees as well, under ERISA?

here is my resource:
http://www.flexamerica.com/cobra/cobra.htm

Beth3

Employers who self-adminster COBRA (i.e. send the election notices themselves rather than use a third party to do so) have 44 days to notify qualified beneficiaries of their rights to elect continuation coverage.

I would like to recover these fines and fees and would like to confirm that this is accurate information. Could the former employer be liable for my court costs and attorney fees as well, under ERISA? Any fines the DOL levies for late COBRA notices are payable to the DOL, not the employee/beneficiary.

You are free to file a complaint with the federal DOL and advise them of what occurred. If you have not been denied COBRA coverage and were allowed to elect continuation from the date your group health insurance terminated (even though you received the notice late), then you have no damages and there is nothing to sue for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">