• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer forcing non-exempt to take vacation between christmas and new year's day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Summerbrz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hi, Our employer just posted a policy that we have to take vacation days between Christmas and new year's day. I do not follow any specific religion and I don't have any family in the US. I really don't want to be forced to take part of my vacation during this period. When I talked to HR, who calls this: Winter Shut Down Program, they said unless there is a client demand, we are required to be on vacation.

Please let me know what does the law say about forcing non-exempt employees to take vacation days when they don't want to!!!

mlane58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hi, Our employer just posted a policy that we have to take vacation days between Christmas and new year's day. I do not follow any specific religion and I don't have any family in the US. I really don't want to be forced to take part of my vacation during this period. When I talked to HR, who calls this: Winter Shut Down Program, they said unless there is a client demand, we are required to be on vacation.

Please let me know what does the law say about forcing non-exempt employees to take vacation days when they don't want to!!!
First off, the law doesn't require an employer to provide you with a vacation. Secondly, since there isn't a law that requires an employer to provide a vaction, the employer can dictate when and how you use the vacation they provide.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There doesn't have to be a law giving the employer permission to force you to take a vacation, or forcing you to take it at any particular time. It is legal as long as there is no law prohibiting it (and there isn't).

So you're just going to have to take your vacation between Christmas and New Years, like it or not. There is nothing illegal about what your employer is requiring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">