• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mindy Waters

Subject: employer scam

I work as a parking cashier at an international airport. Though the airport itself is controled by the city, the parking lots are leased by a parking management system. I work for that system. At the end of my shift,I close out the booth I am in. I count the money, leave $150 cash for next shift.The supervisor gets a shift report tape total for that booth.I have a shift sheet that I record the amount of money made,the shift I worked,the date,and my name.When I deposit the money I made for that day into the safe,I recieve a reciept for it. One for me, one for the shift sheet.The supervisor would compare the total cash of the shift report tape to my deposit reciept. they should both match.If it is over or under, the supervisor and I would find out why.As of the first of Sept., the company came out with a rule stating the supervisor can't tell the cashier if she was over or under.The cashier doesn't know until she recieves her paycheck every two weeks. Included with the check is a statement that says she was short x amount of money and payment is demanded immediately.On the 21st of Sept. I was called into the managers office and the person who does payroll was there. She said that on the 9th of Sept. I was $97 dollars short and she needed payment as soon as possible.I told her that was not right, that I would know if I was ever that short. and did not want to pay without further explaination. She reffered me to the recordkeeper. He showed me a shift sheet (rather quickly too)that had a bunch of numbers on it and he said it clearly showed that I was $97 short. I said I would have to think about it and get back to them.I went to work at my booth and was barely there when the payroll person called me and asked if I could pay the full amount now. I said no. She asked if I could pay $50,I said no, that I would have to speak to my husband first.About an hour later,after thinking about it, I called the record keeper and asked if I could pick up a copy of the shift report(at lunch)showing the discrepancy so I could show my husband. He said it was ok.15 minutes later the record keeper called back and stated that as he was about to copy the report, he looked at the figures again and realized I didn't owe $97 I only owed $7!!!! He was sorry for the mistake........At lunch I went to get a copy anyway and he said he didn't make one because I didn't owe anything and I said that I did owe $7 didn't I? and he said that if he checked further , I probably didn't owe that either. This all sounds fishy to me...........What do you think?

T

Tyrone

Subject: RE: employer scam

Sounds like a stupid policy for your company as it is impossible to track things down later. But either someone made an adding mistake, or the person after you made the cash mistake. Don't lose sleep over this.

M

mk

Subject: RE: RE: employer scam

It seems that Tyrone likes to give these simple, uneducated answers. You have a good question about your employer. Something seems REALLY fishy. I wish I could give you some advice or something, but I just had to comment on Tyrone's advice. If you're not going to give an answer that makes sense, Tyrone, then don't give one at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">