• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer had credit check done without employee authorization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

virginia22

What is the name of your state? VIRGINIA

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the proper place, but here goes. Our company was just bought out by a larger company. We all just got letters stating that our company had requested a credit card for each of us. Now we have just found out that our company authorized American Express to do credit checks on all of us. The cards will be our in our name, and we will be responsible for paying the bill.

Isn't it illegal for our company to authorize credit checks without our consent? What about requesting a credit card in our name. Most of us don't even want or need another credit card. Some people have been denied. That will go on their credit record. Also, doesn't it affect your credit score every time somebody runs your credit?

Please advise. Thank you.

HappyHusband

What is the name of your state? VIRGINIA

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the proper place, but here goes. Our company was just bought out by a larger company. We all just got letters stating that our company had requested a credit card for each of us. Now we have just found out that our company authorized American Express to do credit checks on all of us. The cards will be our in our name, and we will be responsible for paying the bill.

Isn't it illegal for our company to authorize credit checks without our consent? What about requesting a credit card in our name. Most of us don't even want or need another credit card. Some people have been denied. That will go on their credit record. Also, doesn't it affect your credit score every time somebody runs your credit?

Please advise. Thank you.
Isn't it illegal for our company to authorize credit checks without our consent?

You probably signed a consent form when you started. Not illegal

The cards will be our in our name, and we will be responsible for paying the bill.

Why are they giving you credit cards if they expect you to pay it? If I were you, I wouldn't buy anything on those cards, unless they intend to reimburse you.

demartian

Corporate Cards

I have seen a lot of companies do this. You travel and put the expenses on the corporate credit cards and then they pay the part of the bill that links to your expense account. If you charge anything for yourself on there, they don't need to worry about chasing you down over it because it is your card to pay.

You do not need to accept them. When you receive the card, just cut them up and cancel the account. The Accounts Payable people may not like that, but they can't force you to use their card. Although, it can be difficult to arrange corporate travel without them sometimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">