• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cadam

What is the name of your state? AK

I've been contacted about a position here in Alaska. The company is a typical headhunter outfit that provides service to larger companies. They advised me this position doesn't include medical benefits, though they have other positions in the lower 48 that do. Instead, they want me to utilize COBRA to provide my own medical. This is a 40hr/week job, at least. I'm waiting to hear back from the State's Department of Insurance, but that could take a while. It IS a W-2 position, vs. a 1099 employee.

Anyone know if this sort of arrangement is even legit?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law in any state except Hawaii that makes it mandatory for an employer to provide health insurance (in MA, an employer must EITHER provide health insurance OR pay a tax to the state).

The fact that they provide insurance in the lower 48 does not make it mandatory for them to provide it in Alaska.

Yes, this is legal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Offhand I don't know, hateworking, but I'll check with my colleague in Honolulu and let you know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">