• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Improperly Disseminated my SSN and Birth Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgr

Residence: Virginia
Former Employer: Maryland

A former employer has improperly disseminated my social security number and birth date to another employee. As part of a 401(K) distribution form, they sent another former employee my information and his information to myself.

Given the severity of identity theft, I'd like to see recourse on this matter. What options do I have?

ecmst12

You have no options and no recourse, you have suffered no damages. Do you really think that your coworker is going to steal your identity? It would be very easy to catch him if he did.

It was a mistake. Mistakes happen. You don't get to sue for it. And if you try, you'll probably get fired (legally).

jgr

For⋅mer  [fawr-mer]
–adjective
1.preceding in time; prior or earlier: during a former stage in the proceedings.
2.past, long past, or ancient: in former times.

I don't think firing is a concern.

And yes, identity theft is problem in today's society. Whether I can catch the former employee is irrelevant to the matter. Once your credit is damaged it doesn't matter whether you know the perpetrator or not. What I care about is exploiting the potential liability the company faces in the event that my identity does get stolen. Given that it's a small company and the potential liabilities involved, I don't see why they wouldn't logically move toward a settlement.

And just because it's a "mistake" doesn't give anyone a pass. What kind of hare brain logic is that? Corporations get sued over mistakes and carelessness all the time.

ecmst12

Even IF you could prove that you were damaged as a direct result of this mistake, it's questionable whether you would be able to win a suit against your (former) employer as opposed to against the actual person who stole your identity.

Did you decide to steal your ex-coworker's identity just because you received his information by mistake? Do you even know HOW? The chances that your ex-coworker did anything other then throw the mistaken statement in the shredder are miniscule.

No damages, no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">