• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer mistake in ESPP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sophar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've worked for my employer twice with a 2-year gap in between. When I came to the company the second time I logged into their system to enroll in their employee stock purchase plan. The system had all of my settings in place from my previous employment there and it stated very clearly that I was enrolled in the ESPP for the full 10%. A year and a half went by and I finally noticed that there was no deduction for ESPP. My check is direct-deposited so I don't think to look at it. Indeed, the company found out that they had a bug in there system and I was never enrolled in ESPP and so I missed out on 3 purchase periods of stock.

The situation was reviewed by HR/benefits and they said the situation was as much my fault as theirs and that nothing could be done. Do I have any recourse in this kind of situation?

ecmst12

You should always at least GLANCE at your pay stubs. The situation IS as much your fault as theirs. Maybe it's for the best with the market being what it is now :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">