• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer needs info on unions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehigh07

What is the name of your state? CO

My company has decided to use contract laborers that are a part of the Ironworkers Union. As an employer and the HR Rep, where can I find info on how unions run, what we are required to do etc... I want to be as educated as possible so we can make this work. We have not joined an employers council yet as we are still quite small, but that is in the works. Thanks!

justalayman

Do you mean you are now going to be a union employer or are you simply contracting work to be done by a union company?

Are you contracting them on an hourly basis or per job?

milehigh07

We are contracting them per project. Once the project is complete, they will be "let go" unless another project comes up.

Beth3

You would be very well advised to consult with a labor attorney. The National Labor Relations Act and NLRB rulings are complex. Additionally and assuming you wish to maintain union-free status with your regular workforce, you might well be enabling union organizers to come into your workplace and start a union campaign.

justalayman

You would be very well advised to consult with a labor attorney. The National Labor Relations Act and NLRB rulings are complex. Additionally and assuming you wish to maintain union-free status with your regular workforce, you might well be enabling union organizers to come into your workplace and start a union campaign.

If that isn't an anti-union slanted reply, I don;t know what is. I don;t see how having a union contractor on site would change anything reagrding union activities. If the employess want to engage in forming a union, they can do so. Allowing a union contractor on site does not affect the employees rights.

If these guys are contract labor, you treat them as such. Your contract will guide you. Since they are not employees, you don't treat them as if they are. They come in, do their contracted work and leave. Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">