• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Needs to Know How to Set-up “Educational Assistance Plan”

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MTommy

What is the name of your state? MN

What is the easiest way to set up for the first time an “educational assistance program”? I am a consultant and working on an MBA with a focus on consulting (I’m an employee of a LLP, but not a partner in any way).

I understand the maximum benefit is $5,250 per year. I have also been told that form 5500 - Schedule F must be filed for this benefit. That form talks about ERISA and other pension plans. In recent years forms, I have not seen an “educational assistance program” box (1999 form I saw did have it). Does anyone know of a new or updated form or schedule? Are any additional State filing(s) necessary?

Does anyone know if the requirement for setting up an “educational assistance program” is laborious and must be done well in advance? I’d like to set it up to take the tax advantage this year already. I’ve used Google to try and find information and most of the stuff on the IRS.gov website seems to be geared towards me as an employee not the requirements an employer must fulfill/pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">