• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer not paying Premium to Insurance Co

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjross65

What is the name of your state? Indiana. For the past 1 year I have had my health benefits deducted every week from my paycheck. I have medical bills that are not getting paid because my employer is not paying the insurance company..meanwhile my medical bills are going into collections and I feel I should not have to pay for it since I have already paid my part and I have contacted my Employer and they keep ignoring my messages..What right do I have. Can my employer do this and can my medical bills go into collections eventhough I have insurance and they are waiting for my employer to pay.

Beth3

Contact the federal Department of Labor and file a complaint. 202-693-4650

It's not illegal for your employer not to pay the health insurance premium per se but it IS illegal to take insurance premium deductions from employees and direct those into the general assets of the company. If your employer is doing the latter, they're in big trouble.

moburkes

You also need to pay those bills. It will affect your credit report. You signed legal documents that you would be responsible for the bills regardless of the amount of money that the insurance company pays.

ecmst12

But can he then sue his employer for failing to maintain his insurance or notify him of termination?

moburkes

Good question, but I'm guessing that if the employer has to pocket premiums because they can't pay their portion, there won't be much left once the DOL is done with them. Maybe they are a small company?!?!?!?:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Trust me, the DOL takes this sort of thing VERY seriously. The employer will not get off lightly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">