• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer now requires spouse to obtain insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kingpeta

My employer has instituted a new rule that my spouse must obtain insurance through her employer if she's eligible. This will cost me over $100 per month more since she works part time and must pay much higher rates. In addition, I'm locked into a family plan to cover my three children. My employer doesn't have an option to cover just myself and children. This seems discriminatory and I'm wondering if it's even legal. Most people at work are in the same boat as me. Any help would be appreciated!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you are in the state of Hawaii, your employer is not even required by law to offer insurance to you, let alone to your dependents, and even in Hawaii the right to insurance was limited, last time I looked. So yes, it is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">