• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer pay bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MT

My husband and three other employees went to the emergency room last week with carbon monoxide poisoning from a propane generator run in a closed shop for two days. When they checked in, they told the hospital it was workmans comp. Now, my husband was told that he might get a bill for the visit and to just bring it in and the company would pay for it. They weren't submitting it to workmans comp. What are the ramifications if they do this? What if my husband insists that they file the workmans comp (I wouldn't be surprised if he did that he would lose his job)? Any ideas?

Beth3

An employer self-funding some WC claims is not uncommon, especially if it's a claim with no lost time and limited medical bills. As long as the employer meets their obligation under State WC reg's to pay for occupational medical expenses, they've met their obligation under the law (except with a lost-time injury or death occurs - those must be reported.) It's really not up to your husband to insist the employer file a claim with their carrier.

Now whether the employer is handling it this way as a cost-saving measure (WC premiums are very expensive) or for some other reason, I can't say. If your husband suspects an OSHA requirement was violated by running the generator without adequate violation, he's free to contact them and file a complaint.

The employer paying medical bills directly does not absolve them in any way for any responsibility under WC reg's due your husband and his co-workers, if that's your concern.

Thank you for answering my question. I guess we were worried that if something every developed from the exposure (very doubtful) that we wouldn't have any recourse. Of course there were safety concerns but the fire department was called and had to OK the readings inside the shop before anyone could go back to work so that was resolved. Thank you again for calming our fears and we'll just take the bill in when it comes!!

Beth3

You're welcome. Am glad the employer called the fire department - obviously they're not trying to hide the incident and they acted responsibly by having them come in to check air safety levels. If your husband and the other guys just went to the hospital to have their blood levels checked and get some oxygen, then it's not a surprise that the employer has opted to pay the bills directly.

When you add it all up, for every $1 spent on a WC claim, the employer pays about $3 in premiums so it's not a bad idea to self-fund the limited claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">