• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer pays late all the time!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gysselle

Employer pays weeks late all the time!!!

What is the name of your state? CA
My mom owns an 18 wheller and she works with a dispather(Employer). When the truck comes back from making a delivery the employer is supposed to pay right away..he doesn't. He Always pays late and its not the full amount. On top of that he gives us checks with no funds. he'll usually take about a month to pay everything (about $3,000). We call him to ask for the money and either he wont pick up or he'll lie and say he has the money but he really doesnt. His late payments has ruined both my credit and my mothers. We had so many retunrned checks that out bank account got closed

Last edited:

pattytx

Assuming your mom is an employee (not an independent contractor), the employer must set regular paydays and adhere to them. For nonexempt employees that can be no less frequently than semi-monthly (twice a month). The wages for semi-monthly must be paid no later than 10 days following the end of the semi-monthly period. If paid biweekly or weekly, pay is due no more than 7 days following the end of the pay period.

And NO government agency, including the state DOL, the IRS, the EDD, and all kinds of CA taxing agencies, looks kindly upon a company issuing paychecks that are no good. If they're issuing bad checks for pay, you can pretty much bet they're not remitting the taxes being withheld from those paycheck either.

I recommend filing a claim with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement of the Department of Industrial Relations. You can find a local office in the state government pages of your phone book.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">