• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Playing w/Benefits.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UnityRock

What is the name of your state? VA

Hello. I am very frustrated and hope I can get some good advice. I work for a private charter airline that is non-unionized. Over the last 7 to 8 months or so, there has been a major restructuring in my company's policies for my particular division. This restructuring has resulted in my work group loosing benefits and income while the other groups in the division maintain these things.

I recently skimmed over one of our company newsletters, and I came across an announcement regarding PTO expiration. I immediately emailed my HR contact to inquire about this, since no one from my work group was informed that we had access to PTO and Vacation benefits. The HR rep. replied that all the info regarding our PTO and Vacation benefits was included in our Employee Handbook.

I read this information and sent another message requesting a calculation of how many PTO hours I had accrued, so that I could submit the proper form to make use of them before they expire. I never got a response from that HR rep. and later learned that she is no longer with the company. I have since been trying to get an estimate of my accrued PTO hours and have not been able to get any response. I recently contacted the person who is now in charge of our payroll, and she replied that upper management is reviewing whether or not my work group will receive these benefits. However, I know of a couple of coworkers in my group who have already received these benefits, and it is written in the Employee Handbook.

My question is: Can my employer suddenly change and say that we do not get these benefits, even though some of my coworkers have already received some of these benefits? Do they not have to abide by what is written in the Employee Handbook? Can employers really just change benefits stipulations whenever they feel like it? It is hard for me to swallow that my employer can just screw around with our income and benefits as they have been in the last 7 to 8 months. Although there was no actual paper contract signed, there was a verbal, mutual agreement about the job details and benefits when I was hired. Doesn't that count for anything?

I appreciate any input and advise. ~ Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">