• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer-provided life insurance, and cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobg3590

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have all my life insurance through my employer. Recently, I had to go on short-term disability due to illness. I am told that if my disability extends beyond 90 days, and if I need to go onto long term disability, that my employer life insurance will be canceled and I will have to buy some other life insurance. But because all this is caused by health problems, I doubt that I can get any life insurance at a reasonable cost.

Can this be true? Do the laws of Michigan allow my employer's life insurance carrier to drop me just when I have become virtually uninsurable? I am of course willing to assume the payment of future premiums were the life insurance to continue.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer is not required to provide life insurance to its employees at all. There has to be a line at which point you are no longer considered a benefits-eligible employee; otherwise they'd be covering people whose employment termed years ago.

You are not being dropped because you are uninsurable. You are being dropped because you no longer meet the definition of an eligible employee. It would be no different than if you took a leave of absence for non-medical reasons. The same thing would happen; you'd be dropped when you passed the 90 day limit.

Note: WHERE the limit is, depends on your specific employer's specific policy - in your case it appears to be 90 days. But when you pass the limit, regardless of reason, they are no longer obligated to cover you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">