• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer references

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danderson

California.
I am unable to find full time emplyoment, i understand that a previous employer is providing a poor reference. I resigned form that job after two years under threat of firing for alleged unprofessional behavior but had good evaluations during the time i worked there. since then i have held a temporary position (where i have good recommendations) with another agency but get no interviews or hire offers.

is there a limit to what that agency can reasonalby say?

is it worth it to have a reference company check it out?

Then what?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. They are limited to what is true or what they reasonably believe is true. If you were fired for what they believe to be unprofessional conduct, they are at liberty to say so. The only thing that is outside the limits is anything that is a LIE (not an honestly held negative opinion - they are entitled to that) or facts that are said in a way deliberately designed to mislead.

It's entirely up to you if you want to use a reference checking service, but unless you find that they are giving out FACTUALLY incorrect information, you would have no legal recourse.

BTW, if you are not getting INTERVIEWS, it is extremely unlikely that a poor reference has anything to do with it. No employer does reference checks on applicants before they interview.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">