• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer refusing to pay PTO after oral promise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donbmad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Before being hired by this company, I had a very clear conversation (on the phone) with a VP (my manager/hiring manager) that I would only take the job if my PTO would be paid upon termination by either party. He said they didn't pay it out if I'm fired with cause. I said, "I need to be paid my vacation, whether I'm laid off, fired with cause, without cause, for misconduct, if I resign, etc." He agreed orally. I followed up in an email. He replied, "If we terminate your employment for any reason we'll pay your PTO." In the context of the conversation, I thought it was clear. In hindsight, I'm kicking myself for not catching that he didn't really answer my question affirmatively.

I recently resigned, gave 2 weeks' notice, traveled for the company, worked until the last day, transitioned my projects to others in good faith, and now the company is being weasely, saying that since *they* did not terminate my employment, I would not be paid PTO. I was completely blindsided by this -- it never even crossed my mind that they wouldn't pay my vacation. The VP knew exactly what my intentions and understanding was, he tried to weasel his way out of it, and basically tricked me into thinking he agreed with my request (this type of behavior is why I resigned). It never even occurred to me they wouldn't pay it, as I'd worked for the owner of the company before, and was paid my vacation when I left the job before.

If I had acted in poor faith and provoked management into firing me rather than acting in good faith, there apparently would be no question.

Do I have any recourse? Would it be worth a shot in a small claims lawsuit?

By the way -- as a rant -- PTO needs to be treated as sacred in this country. "Use it or lose it" policies are horribly unfair to employees. Employers also seem to have complete control over the usage of their employees' PTO. How is this legal?

Last edited:

dolebot

In Florida - it is not illegal to not pay your PTO, vacation time, comp time, pretty much anything as long as that action doesn't bring you under minimum wage.

You can sue anybody for anything, but this is not something you'll likely have much luck with. Yay Florida! The land that labor law forgot.

It doesn't matter if you had an oral agreement. It's hearsay. Would be up to the judge. Next time, get a contract.

"Use it or lose it" policies are horribly unfair to employees. Employers also seem to have complete control over the usage of their employees' PTO. How is this legal?
Because it isn't ILLEGAL - its permitted. Florida has a total of something like 17 laws on the books regarding employment. Most of them regarding minimum wage and having seats in stores for employees. We don't even have a real labor department, and we are lucky that unemployment exists!

Run for the legislature and change it!

ecmst12

Move to California, PTO is sacred there. Ok not exactly, but it is considered wages, and if a company has a "use it or lose it" policy to keep people from accruing too much time at once, they have to cash out the unused time, they can't just take it away.

donbmad

Well, thanks for your answers. I can hope that if I file a lawsuit, they will pay up the measley couple grand to avoid attorney and travel fees. I guess that's my only hope of seeing the money at this point. And I would LOVE to run for office in two years. Watch for donbmad in 2010!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">