• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Retirement Contributions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustaDrone

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

We have a 408(k) SEP at my place of employment. Our employer contributes monthly. This past year the employer has NOT made contributions in 3 months so far. All other months have been the same amount as per the benefit (10%). So employees are currently out that amount plus interest. While it is certainly problematic and I believe unethical (they never asked or notified employees), is it legal? Pay stubs still show the full benfit amount has been contributed.

This is a small office, 15-20 employees.

Thank you

Beth3

1. Are the contributions GUARANTEED?

2. What does the Plan Document say regarding the timing of the employer's contributions? I'm not familiar with 408(k) reg's but 401(k) reg's allow for a considerable amount of lag-time.

JustaDrone

We are non-union and in an 'at-will' State. Our Employee manual states the employer will contribute 10%. That would be the only guarantee I know of.

I do not know what the plan states, have never seen it.

anteater

We are non-union and in an 'at-will' State. Our Employee manual states the employer will contribute 10%. That would be the only guarantee I know of.

I do not know what the plan states, have never seen it.
The only dealine for contributions to SEP-IRA's is the due date of the employer's tax return (including extensions). Under a SEP, the employer is not required to make conributions every year.

The employer is required to give each eligible employee a copy of Form 5305-SEP.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">