• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer says I OWE HIM $1025 after I quit!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

molarband

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Can anyone provide me with some legal advice regarding unpaid wages?

I recently quit my job working as a dentist for a dental office. My last 5 days of work I received no paycheck. Instead the owner dentist presented me with a bill for $1025 saying he overpaid me. I produced $4000 in charges working on his patients for those 5 days of work. If I did what he said and paid his bill for $1025 then that means I worked the last 9 days for free.

If I do not pay his bill he threatens to send me to collections and ruin my credit score.

BACKGROUND INFO
- I have been working for him for 1 year
- he convinced me to quit my previous job to go work for him with a verbal promise that I would be paid off of 30% PRODUCTION
- he verbally said I will make over $100,000 per year.
- my actual pay for 1 year is about $85,000
- after my first month his wife (office manager) decided I was getting paid too much and said I was being paid off of "ADJUSTED PRODUCTION"

ADJUSTED PRODUCTION VS PRODUCTION
There is a big difference between adjusted production and production. Now instead of getting paid 30% of what I charge out for my procedures, they claim to be paying me first and then deducting from my paycheck the actual payment from the insurance company which is usually about at a 25% discount. This means now I am actually getting paid about 20% of my production instead of 30%

WHY I STAYED WITH THE JOB
I stayed with the job for a year complaining but putting up with it because I had no other job and already quit my previous job. I recently quit because I found a new job that guarantees my pay in writing.

THERE ARGUMENT FOR THE BILL
With adjusted production, I am not getting paid about 15-20% of my actual production instead of 30%. Now that I quit, they are claiming they paid me upfront already for the 30% production and now that the insurance company payments came in, they need to deduct $6000 off of my production meaning I have a negative balance. Therefore I owe them $1025.

MY ARGUMENT
- I quit my job because of the promise of 30% production.
- They threw in the "ADJUSTED" production after I quit my previous job to go work for them.
- I have examples of one day where I produced $2700 but was only paid $300.
- He made me attend mandatory CE courses without paying me - illegal
- He expected me to stay to supervise the hygenists without pay because he wanted to leave early - the hygenist are not allowed to work without a dentist present.
- since no written contract was written, he was able to change the terms of my payment with no consequences

LEGALITY
Is he allowed to bill me instead of paying me for the last 5 days of work. He said I would be paid on my last day but instead I got a bill. Obviously he said this so I would continue working for him. If I knew he was going to pull this on me I would have stopped working immediately.

Do I owe him money or does he owe me money??? How do I resolve this issue?

HELP!!!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don' t have a clue whether you owe the money or not. But your recourse is to contact the state DOL and file a complaint for unpaid wages. They'll sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">