• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer short-term disability insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sonya Jackson

What is the name of your state? Texas

I would like to find out if I have a case against my former employer or their insurance carrier. Last year in November I took a Leave of Absence on the advice of my Manager because I was having chronic joint pain in both my hands, wrist and one of my ankles. I was going to initially resign because I had been going through this pain for a year already and it was spreading to my fingers. I had been wearing braces on both hands/wrist everyday at work. At first my doctor asked that they give me light duty. They didn't. I went ahead and took a Leave of Absence and applied for Short-term disability like they suggested, which I had been paying for. I was denied by their insurance company and I called my employer to ask for help. They told me to Appeal and I did. I was denied again by letter. I still have the letter and I will always keep it because it was humiliating and made me look like a liar. I didn't know what else to do so I resigned and withdrew my retirement money out because the bill collector's had been calling for almost three months and they didn't want to here that I was not working. I am now hurting from my neck to my toes and in pain everyday. I feel like a walking pharmacist with all the medication I have to take. I still have not been diagnosed by my PCP or my Rheumatologist. The insurance company told me that they have a nurse that reviews all of the medical records on the employee's when they apply. I had a very rude case worker who never returned my calls. I wrote a letter to the President of the healthcare institution and the Administrator of the facility where I worked to let them know what happened to me and to try and keep it from happening to other employees. My mother didn't think I got fair treatment because this was money I paid out in case I ever got sick. I am very disappointed in this company because I worked for them for twelve years. I got a letter from the President stating how sorry he was that this happened to me and he hoped I felt better. He stated that he would pass my letter and the copy of the letter I enclosed from the insurance company to the President of Benefits. As for the facility where I worked the Human Resource Director called me and told me that the letters had been given to her by the Administrator. She said I shouldn't have resigned because I hadn't been off a year yet. I told her I didn't know what else to do because no one was trying to help me. I told her that I didn't think a nurse should be making the decision on employee disability cases if she didn't know that a person could be sick and have normal test results. She said that was true and asked if she could call me again. I have not heard from her since. I kept the letter that was sent by the President of the company. I would like to know what my rights are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">