• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer sponsored benefits not equal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WonderingInAZ

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Is this legal?

Example: The Company HR policy states individuals (all employee classes) are eligible for only 1 week vac. after 1yr of employment. There are several employees who have been given more than one week after a year or even been given vacation time to take within their first year of employment. Is this a fair/legal employment practice? Please advise.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is perfectly legal, as long as the decisions are not made on the basis of race, gender, national origin etc.

WonderingInAZ

It just doesn’t seem right. I guess it is best to really investigate a company prior to agreeing to employment, and even then, who knows! It seems that employees really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes down to it (with exception of the discrimination laws- EEOC). Why even have HR manuals if the company's cannot be held accountable to back their own policies (again with exception of the discrimination laws- EEOC)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sometimes an employee might negotiate more vacation as part of their hire package - I've even seen employees agree to take a lower salary in exchange for more vacation. Sometimes higher level employees are given a better benefits package as one of the "perks" of management.

Nothing in the law says that every single employee has to receive exactly the same benefits; only that what benefits they receive can't be based on the basis of a protected characteristic, and that if an employee qualifies for a benefit under the company's eligibility rules they have to be offered the benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">