• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer terminated benefits on the 22nd... I paid through the 28th!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdeysach

:confused: What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Benefits terminated early at layoff.

I worked as a wholesale account executive for Aurora Loan Services (a Lehman Brother's Company).

On the 8th of Feb., 2007 I recieved a telephone call telling me that they were letting me go (no misconduct... just the mortgage industry for ya!)

On the phone, the Woman from HR informed me that they would be paying me for the next two weeks (through Feb 22, 2007) and that my Health Insurance that had been paid for out of my paycheck would continue through the month end (as a whole month had been paid for).

I went to the dentist, the doctor and took my daughter to the doctor towards the end of Feb as late as the 28th. Every visit that I went to I pre-called the insurance company to verify coverage - we were covered. At the time of check in for each visit, the health care providers contacted the insurance company to verify coverage - we were covered.

On March 14th, I received a letter from the insurance company notifying me that Aurora Loan Services had terminated my benefits for health and dental on Feb. 22nd (can you say "reteroactive?")

I now sit here, left unemployed with about two thousand dollars in medical bills that were not paid even though the health care providers said I was covered and insurance said I was covered.

Keep in mind, I paid for a FULL month of health and dental insurance and have not seen a single penny in refund.

Aside from simply being a crappy way to treat people (something that Lehman Brothers seems to be notorious for) is there a rule, regulation or law regarding getting a full month of coverage when you pay for it or the bait and switch that went on here?

I could use my COBRA on it (the policy would be $1,400 for health and dental for a month), but I seem to have no way of buying only 7 days of COBRA to wrap back to the month that I already paid for.

I could really use a significant amount of help on this one.

Please feel free to answer here or even at my aol email address ([email protected]).

My family could really use help with this.

Thanks!

~JeremyWhat is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does the plan document say that coverage wil continue till the end of the month, or that it will end on the last day of employment?

Never mind right now what you were told or what you have paid for; I need to know what the plan document says. We'll get into those other issues later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">