• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer to withhold SIMPLE match

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckylucy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a health care professional and receive a straight percentage of my collections for the practice minus expenses (insurance, malpractice coverage, payroll taxes). I am in the process of negotiating my contract and my employer now wants to deduct the amount he contributes to my SIMPLE IRA plan. That is, if his 3% match totals 5K for the year, he will deduct that amount from my final bonus check. When I asked if that was legal I was told by his accountant that this is done very frequently. Still, that doesn't make it legal. What do you think? Is he allowed to deduct his contribution from my salary?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
if his 3% match totals 5K for the year, he will deduct that amount from my final bonus check.

Is he allowed to deduct his contribution from my salary?

So which is it? Your bonus, or your salary?

luckylucy

Well, income, I guess, would be the best word. Technically, I don't get a salary...just a straight percentage of what money I generate, minus all expenses now including his contribution to my simple plan. So if I was supposed to receive 50K but he put in 5K into my retirement plan, my check (salary, bonus, whatever you call it) will be for 45K. Does that make sense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">