• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer will not reimburse tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mariopoli

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I am a full time employee and graduate student. My employer will not reimburse me for one of my classes because company policy states the final reimbursement package must be submitted within 90 days of the last day of the class and I submitted it 120 days. I was completely unaware of this policy because it is not mentioned in the intranet documentation describing the reimbursement program or the reimbursement forms. Unfortunately the company has multiple intranet sites stating the policy and the site I used did not contain the time limit information. Can I sue my employer in small claims for the $1050 tuition? I was told they can not make an exception for me because than they would have to pay the other employees that have also been denied payment.

ecmst12

You can sue for anything you want, but it sounds like you will not win if this is a consistent policy they have had for years. You should have asked someone.

eerelations

Since your employer is not legally required to reimburse you for tuition fees, your employer can certainly dictate the circumstances under which it might reimburse you for said tuition fees. And your employer is not legally required to notify you in advance of what those circumstances may be.

If you sue your employer in small claims court, your employer may legally fire you for this, whether or not you win your case.

pattytx

Guess that'll teach you to 1) not find out the criteria and 2) wait for FOUR MONTHS to do the paperwork. Personally, I would have submitted it the day after the last class. Or at least when I got my grades. :rolleyes:

He who hesitates**************************************************************************************************

mariopoli

Why can my employer legally fire me if I sue them?

You state "If you sue your employer in small claims court, your employer may legally fire you for this, whether or not you win your case."

Please explain why this is so? How can my employer legally fire me if I sue them?

CraigFL

Because in an "at will" employment state, your employer can terminate you for any reason unless you're in a "protected class" or you have a specific contract.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the record;

Every single person on this planet has a race, a gender, and a national origin.

Therefore, every single person on this planet is a member of at least three so-called "protected classes".

ecmst12

Because filing suit for this reason is not a protected activity. And you'd lose anyway. So then you'd have no job AND no tuition money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">