• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer witholds last week's salary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ht_squared

What is the name of your state? Texas
My boss called me and tried to get rid of me over the phone, believe it or not. I told him we really needed to meet. When we met the next day, he said he felt it was time to "sever the relationship." When I asked him why, he gave no definitive reasons at all. In fact, when I checked that morning, our numbers were holding steady even though we had lost some business due to no fault of our company. I had brought 18 new contracts, etc, etc. Bottom line, is that he wanted to sever the relationship and had no reasons to do so. I told him that if that was what he intended to do that I would like to work until the end of the month which would have been Friday, August 26, 2005. At this point, he believed that I was agreeing to go without further problem. But later, when the Personnel Dir. told me that he had heard that I was quitting, I told him that was not true. I told him my boss was terminating m. He was really shocked, and then I told him that my boss and I had agreed that I would work til the end of the month, which was the 26th. When word got back to my boss, I suppose he didn't like that I was saying terminated instead of quitting. But I told him in our last conversation that he had initiated the meeting, he wanted me out, and that I had never and would never quit my job and needed a letter of termination which I never got. Long story short, he only paid me up to the 19th of August, not the 26th. I have proof that I worked that final week of August. I have an email that I sent to him and CC'd myself on, dated the 26th, which gave him updates on two contracts and what I had done to secure those in that final week of work. What do I do??? I can't afford and attorney. Do I take this to the state labor board? If so, what do I file? What kind of illegal action do I cite?

Last edited:

pojo2

He/she did NOT have to have a reason for "severing" your relationship unless you have a contract to the contrary or discrimination issues are present.

Were you on commission ONLY? Did you finish out these contracts you had started?

ht_squared

Employer witholds last week's wages (clarification)

Texas. The issue is not about severing the relationship. The issue is that he was fine with me working until the end of the month, August 26th, until he realized that I was not going to "agree" to leave. I told him that I was not quitting and that he would have to fire me. It was then that he backed up and only paid me for the week ending the 19th ,although I have proof that I worked through the 26th. I was a salaried employee, and the client contracts had nothing to do with my salary. Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">