• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer's Bank won't Cash my Paycheck!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SunnyYellow

I am in TN. A couple months ago I had a paycheck bounce! Since then I have taken my paychecks to my employer's bank(for that reason & because I've heard stories about others paychecks & other checks, in general, bouncing).

When I went to my employer's bank yesterday, I was told they could NOT cash my paycheck (I'm paid bi-weekly). They told me to try again tomorrow. Which I did this AM. And still, no luck!
Hopefully, eventually, I'll be able to cash it... But this is ridiculous! Do employees have to put up with this? What should I do? Shouldn't this be reported to someone or something?

Needless to say, I did NOT go in to work today (I told them I'd be in after I get my check cashed!) I don't understand why the doors haven't closed if he can't pay bills (phones are shut off) & employees!

Any help/suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! I've never had to go through anything like this before....I just can't believe it!!:eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mlane58

I am in TN. A couple months ago I had a paycheck bounce! Since then I have taken my paychecks to my employer's bank(for that reason & because I've heard stories about others paychecks & other checks, in general, bouncing).

When I went to my employer's bank yesterday, I was told they could NOT cash my paycheck (I'm paid bi-weekly). They told me to try again tomorrow. Which I did this AM. And still, no luck!
Hopefully, eventually, I'll be able to cash it... But this is ridiculous! Do employees have to put up with this? What should I do? Shouldn't this be reported to someone or something?

Needless to say, I did NOT go in to work today (I told them I'd be in after I get my check cashed!) I don't understand why the doors haven't closed if he can't pay bills (phones are shut off) & employees!

Any help/suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! I've never had to go through anything like this before....I just can't believe it!!:eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your only recourse to either file a claim with your state DOL or sue them in small claims.

I don't know the state banking laws in Tenn. It is possible that the bank is waiting for deposits to clear before they will release any cash funds.
You can call the bank and ask them if you can cash it. Also in many states banks have a certain time that they post funds to accounts. Find out what time that is. If they have a lot of branches you may be able to find one that clears earlier than others.
Good luck.

I'm certain that the D.A.'s office there, the same as anywhere else in the country, prosecute NSF check writers. If all of the employees checks are no good, you all need to deposit them, have them returned to your bank NSF, and then file a criminal complaint with either your local law enforcement, or ask to talk to someone from the D.A.'s office. The report has to begin with LLE though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">