• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment contract = uncompensated work

• Thread starter Arthur Thompson
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arthur Thompson

Subject: Employment Contract = Uncompensated Work?

Several months ago, I voluntarily left a job as a research scientist for a large corporation to start a consulting business. The business is starting to go well - in fact I am quite busy. In my employment contract with my former employer, to enable them to protect their legal rights to my inventions and developments, I agreed to: "execute all appropriate papers or documents and otherwise provide proper assistance . . ." This clause is explicitly stated to survive termination for any reason.

I expected to have to sign documents, etc. connected to my patentable work and so forth. But now, they have sent me a 100-page-plus patent application, written in the turgid prose of patents everywhere, containing the work of no less than six other people. I have never seen this application before, and am not even familiar with all the work it contains.

For me to execute the accompanying documents in good faith, I would have to spend many hours reading and checking the entire application. My former employer has stated that they won't pay me a dime for this effort. I can ill afford to devote time to this right now, but they claim a short "bar date" and allow me less than a month to complete the work.

Am I obligated to do this for free? At what point does "proper assistance" become too much to ask of a former employee without compensation? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My practice is on a shoestring at this point, and I would at least like to get an idea of where I stand before paying to consult an attorney.

E

ex hr guy

Subject: RE: Employment Contract = Uncompensated Work?

Keeping your ex-employer's goodwill is probably worth a few hours of your time, even though it is sort of unreasonable for them to ask.

Three choices.
1 Stop bellyaching and do it graciously.
2. Ask them why you got it as you never did any of the work involved and aren't in a position to sign anything.
3. Get into a snit, say NO and if they *****, get a lawyer involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">