• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LittleTimmy

I started working for a contractor. When hired, I was told that they did not have employment contracts. The day I started, they handed me a contract (because someone left and took business with them). I had already left my previous company. I did not want to sign it, but felt I had to. I did not express any concern to my employer at that time. Is this a valid contract?

M

Margaret K

It sounds as if you didn't get handed an employment contract to protect the length of employment (which you wanted) but an "non-compete" contract that the employer wanted, that also probably mentioned that you were an employee at will. They called that an employment contract, and the time to decide whether you wanted to sign it was BEFORE you signed it.

Without reading what you signed I can't say if it would be upheld or not but I can say that non-compete and confiedniatlity agreements usually are enforceable if the restrictions are reasonable in terms of the time limit for which you can't compete.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">