• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Geckocell

I have a employment contract situation that I need some legal advice on. I signed a 3 point agreement 13 months ago. It was a 24 month contract. The first two points were to be given to me immediately. One was a retention bonus and the other was an increase in salary. The third point was to be another salary increase on the anniversary date. That date has come and gone and the increase was not given. Now I want to leave the company and they want me to pay back the original increase plus the retention bonus. Since they did not uphold the original contract terms am I still bound by this contract?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geckocell:
I have a employment contract situation that I need some legal advice on. I signed a 3 point agreement 13 months ago. It was a 24 month contract. The first two points were to be given to me immediately. One was a retention bonus and the other was an increase in salary. The third point was to be another salary increase on the anniversary date. That date has come and gone and the increase was not given. Now I want to leave the company and they want me to pay back the original increase plus the retention bonus. Since they did not uphold the original contract terms am I still bound by this contract?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

No. They breached the contract, and now the balance of the contract is voidable, if you or they decide to go to court. You earned the benefits of points 1 & 2. Since they breached first, you are FREE. Since they breached Point #3, there is no "consideration" for staying the full 24 months, and the contract now fails.

Now, all you have to do is go North, talk to Abraham Lincoln, and get a copy of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited May 21, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">