• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emithez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My wife took a job with a hospital in Dallas. At the time the hospital had a training program available for new nurses (nurses that had recently graduated). The stipulation to the program was the nurse had to sign a 24-month contract that, if breached, required the employee to pay the employer $30,000 for "training reimbursement". Simple enough I suppose. She took the job in Feb, 2014 and 10-motnhs later she has found a much better job. Here's the caveat, neither my wife nor the hospital signed the contract. It was completely overlooked by her HR department. Today she asked to see a copy of the signed contract and they did not have one. Now they are trying to strong arm her into signing the contract or pay back the $30,000.

Here's another kicker, the training program was a farce and the person that was training her was fired a of couple weeks after she began working. Essentially she has been on her own for the entirety of the 10-months she has been employed and she has received little to no training.

The hospital claimed that they have emails of here agreeing to sign the document. I have pasted the email below and she makes no statement as to her intent to sign the contract (read from the bottom up):

Hospital: It’s all day orientation you can come with something you will feel conformable in orientations start right at 8 and they release at 5pm.

Wife: Ok do I wear scrubs or office type clothing? Am I actually working that day or just paperwork?

Hospital: You will need to come in on Monday February 10th for Orientation in the 3rd floor Community room @ 7:45 am. I will have your contract ready for you to sign then.

Wife: Hey HR Person (name omitted)!
I haven't heard much back other than I start feb 10th but I didn't know what time exactly 7a-7p also I was wondering about the contract etc and the remaining schedule.

Does the hospital have a leg to stand on since there is no signed contract or email agreement and they essentially breached the contact by not providing a training/learning environment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">