• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

ken

Subject: Employment Fraud?

Three years ago, I was working at an apartment property, when the property changed owners. During the transition, the new owners came in to interview the current staff, and help us to decide if we wanted to stay with our current company, or change to the new owners. I informed the new management/owners that I did have a felony conviction 10 years prior to the date of take over. Since it was a question that was on their employment application, I answered the question "yes."

They check with the Human Resources department, and other management supervisors, and got the approval for me to be hired.

Over the next three years, I was promoted 3 different times, with the last time being a corporate position, that they relocated me with. Every review that I have had with this company was outstanding.

After spending 8 months in my new position, and making significant improvements in my region, I was terminated due to an internal audit that showed that I had indeed been honest about my background. They were reviewing personnel files when they found mine, and that I had answered "yes" to the felony conviction question.

I have had a few Attorney's mention employment fraud, but I am unable to find the $5,000 needed to retain an Attorney for this type of case.

Is there a case here? And, is there such a thing as contengency on this type of case.

I live in Arizona now, and this is where I was terminated from. However, the Company is a Chicago, Il based company.

Thank you

E

ex hr guy

Subject: RE: Employment Fraud?

Another case of stupid employers. It's hard to find good employees these days. I'm not a lawyer but I wouldn't take it on a contingency as the likely recovery is small (not mega bucks) and the work is hard and the odds are not very clear assuming Illinois is like my old state. Perhaps a lawyer's letter may get them to reconsider and that costs less than $500.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">