• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emmag97

i Was employed at my job for almost 2 years. I quit unexpectedly due to a family member’s medical issues. I was emailing my boss back and forth about what options I had and we both agreed that I should voluntarily leave my position. That was back on July 16th. My manager emailed me and said that she would pack up all the stuff from my desk, which 95% of it are personal belongings, and she would mail them all to me. My friends at work saw them packing up my desk that day, so I know it was packed up, however nothing was ever sent to me and it has almost been two months now. I have called the front desk of the company, who directed me to the HR manager, who I have left voicemails for with no response. I have emailed her, as well, 4 times and have gotten no response. At this point, I’m fed up and pissed that I haven’t gotten my stuff back, and haven’t even gotten a response on where it is. There was a lot of stuff on that desk, and added all up equals ojt to a lot of money that I spent. I also have my ID that I know they want back but I don’t want to return it to them without knowing when I’m getting my personable belongings that they said they would mail. How do I get my stuff back? Should I just show up and demand it, or can I file a lawsuit for them not returning it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're a long, long way from a lawsuit. Call your manager or HR, make an appointment to come in, and go collect it personally.

emmag97

You're a long, long way from a lawsuit. Call your manager or HR, make an appointment to come in, and go collect it personally.
I’ve Cale’s the HR manager several times, and emailed her. My old manager is out on maternity leave until the end of October- and I don’t want a lawsuit, I want the items from my desk, but I’m pissed that it’s taking this long and I have been getting no answers. should I call the front desk number and give them a warning that I’m coming in, or just show up and demand it in person?

eerelations

Call the HR Manager and say (politely!!!) that you're coming in on X date at X time to collect your stuff. Give the HR Manager about a week's notice of this so that he/she can find and make ready your stuff. Bring your ID with you so that you can exchange it for your stuff.

emmag97

Thank you!! I will do that- in the case she doesn’t answer, which she never does, I will leave her a voicemail and email her to let her know to cover my bases. Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please keep in mind that while this is important to you, in the overall scheme of things it's a very low priority for them. I very much doubt that anyone is deliberately trying to keep you from getting your things; it's simply that the day to day business of the business is a higher level of importance to them.

commentator

And please keep in mind that these people may be providing a reference for you to your next job. Do not let your being pissed off rise to the level of being unpleasant to them during any of your interactions with them. As it has been pointed out, this is not the hottest thing on their priorities list, but it should be fairly simple to get your property to you. Handle it professionally, without outrage or demands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">