• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jeanie Godbout

What is the name of your state? texas

i received written notification today that i have until noon july 23rd to decide if i agree to work full-time beginning aug. 1. i currently work 20 hrs. per week at a texas state 'at-will' agency. if the agency can budget my position full-time, why can't they budget another 20 hr. per week position? if i do not agree, the agency will terminate me and post my job as full-time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jeanie Godbout said:
What is the name of your state? texas

why can't they budget another 20 hr. per week position?

if i do not agree, the agency will terminate me and post my job as full-time.

My response:

I don't see a "legal" question. All I see is a "policy" question, and a statement of fact.

Thanks for posting.

IAAL

Beth3

I agree with IAAL. This is an employer policy issue, not a legal one. Your employer may change the terms of your employment and request that you go full-time. If that doesn't suit you, you are free to look for part-time employment elsewhere that does.

In response to your question though, there could be several answers: (1) it's easier to manage one full-time person than two part-time people; (2) the continuity of work is considerably enhanced with one person rather than two doing the work; and (3) it may be cheaper to budget for one full-time person than two part-time employees depending upon what benefits they receive. Benefits can easily run another 50% of base salary or even higher.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">