• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

srhyatt

What is the name of your state? florida
I was employed part-time as a bartender at a bar/restaurant, which caught fire, and damaged the restaurant, but they have openend the bar back up, they have most of thier old employees working, when I asked if I could get shifts, they said there was not enough shifts available, but recently they have just hired someone brand new that's never worked there before as a bartender.. can anything be done????

Beth3

Not unless the reason they aren't bringing you back to work is BECAUSE of your age, race, religion, gender, national origin, etc., or in retalliation for exercising your protected rights such as filing a good faith worker's comp claim.

Outside of that, an employer may hire and fire whom they please. They are under no obligation to schedule you to work or offer you work before they hire someone new.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">