• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bry2254

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I have been with a company for 15 year's. I am 55 year's old. The company has not been doing well the last two year's.
Last year I was laid off and they kept a younger woman and was told, she needed the money more, and since I was single, I was laid off.
It's getting to the point where thing's are even getting tighter(company is still not doing well). I was told that I could be replaced, as I have a higher hourly wage, by a younger person for less money! Now the company has given us a new work manual-The major item is being a willing employee, and the company can hire or fire any one with out reason.
I was told if I do not sign this manual, I will be fired.
I think I know the answer to all this, and that being I am a screwed older worker. With a down sizing company. Tell me if I am wrong!

Thank's for any info
Bryan:mad:

eerelations

It's true, they can legally fire you for not signing the manual.

However, while they can legally fire you for all sorts of reasons (including not signing a manual), they can't legally fire you because you're 55 years old. And even if you do sign this manual, they STILL can't legally fire you because you're 55 years old.

So, I recommend you sign the manual. And if sometime down the line they fire you because of your age, contact the EEOC.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you signed a contract for a specific term of employment, they can hire or fire for any reason not prohibited by law whether you sign the manual or not. So there is no benefit to not signing it.

While they cannot single out employees for layoff because of their gender or age, they CAN single out the higher paid employees for layoff.

Last edited:

bry2254

Thank's for all the help, one more question

It was mentioned,
I could be replaced by a some one else for a cheaper wage.
And they would cut my pay to what they seemed fit?

Thank's again!:)

eerelations

As cbg advised, it would be legal for them to replace you with someone cheaper.

And unfortunately, they can also legally reduce your pay, as long as they give you advance notice of said reduction (and I believe "advance notice" would be one pay period, but someone else here may know the more precise timeframe), and the reduction doesn't bring you pay below minimum wage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">