• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emplyoer withholding current paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? CA

I am paid directly on the hours that I bill my clients (mental health field). My employer told me that i have been overpaid due to "overbilling" for the past 2 months. They are currently withholding my current paycheck in order to "make up" for the amount that i was overpaid on past paychecks. I know that employers can retroactively pay you, but can they retroactively take money from you? its almost like I am paying the company for the hours of services that i provided to my clients. can they adjust my paycheck and withhold the amount that they overpaid me in the past?

please help!!


Senior Member
If your employer mistakenly overpaid you, it is very likely they can recoup the overpayment. However I fully expect the manner in which they are doing so is prohbited by your State (and is in all other 49 States for that matter.)

Call CA's Labor Board and advise them of the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential