• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

End of lease, must we give 30 days notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolmarden

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, my roommate and I signed a one year lease which terminates in about 3 weeks. We have already made plans to move out but did not give 30 days notice due to the fact that our lease was ending and we figured we were set. Evidently there is a clause in our contract that we must give 30 days notice and now the management wants us to pay for the 30 days. Do we have to pay for the full 30 days or can we just pay until the contract was set to terminate?

Management said this 30 day notice rule was a CA state law, is that true?

Also, I've read a little on contract law and there must be consideration given for any contract. What consideration does my roommate and I get out of such a clause? This clause seems unfair and only benefits the landlord and can only hurt the tenet. Thanks for any help. Martin Dockery

south

You need to give 30 days notice otherwise lease may renew for another year.

The clause benefits both parties I am sure if you were intending on staying you would not have liked the landlord knocking on your day the lease expires and saying "get out"..

coolmarden said:

Hi, my roommate and I signed a one year lease which terminates in about 3 weeks. We have already made plans to move out but did not give 30 days notice due to the fact that our lease was ending and we figured we were set. Evidently there is a clause in our contract that we must give 30 days notice and now the management wants us to pay for the 30 days. Do we have to pay for the full 30 days or can we just pay until the contract was set to terminate?

Also, I've read a little on contract law and there must be consideration given for any contract. What consideration does my roommate and I get out of such a clause? This clause seems unfair and only benefits the landlord and can only hurt the tenet. Thanks for any help. Martin Dockery

Who's Liable?

coolmarden said:

You already agreed to the terms of given notice when you signed the lease... It may seem unfair to you, but you should've said something BEFORE you signed the lease... It is not the LL's fault that you didn't fully read the lease or asked questions about it... On top of that, it is perfectly legal and common to require 30-days notice...

As the previous poster stated, it protects both you AND the LL...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">