• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending a lease prior to moving in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jsnikson

I live in Wiscosin. I have signed a lease on the 30th of November and am scheduled to move in later this month. I have gotten a job offer in another town. Is there a way to get out of the lease without having to pay any fees for ending the lease early, since I haven't even moved in?

HomeGuru

No. Not moving in does not cchange with your agreement to rent the property and your liability to pay rent.

L

LL

Basically, you contracted to lease the property, and if you dont perform, you owe the landlord for any losses he may incur.

However, to wind up your affairs in a business-like manner you should immediatly notify the landlord (telephone, then follow with a letter, certified) that you won't be moving in, asking him to re-rent the property and make sure that that he actually does. You will be responsible for any rental loss to the landlord, but not for the entire lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">