• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

enforceing Joint custody order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Please help! I have not seen my daughter since october of 1998. I just finished going through a case in comanche county lawton, oklahoma in which I was awarded joint custody of my daughter by default. After almost a year and nearly 1000 dollars, I was feeling good about getting my daughter for the summer and to my great disappointment I have been held back once again. I called the civil courts in Orlando,Florida where she now resides and they told me I need to have my order domesticated and after speaking to a lawyer in florida about this he told me his retainer was 2500 dollars. I find this rediculous as I already have the order issued by the judge and certified. Is there something I can do, will Florida not recognize the order I could'nt have wasted all that time and money to do it all again and the order not mean anything. By the way I am in the air force stationed in Arkansas so it makes it difficult to continue to travel back and forth as well when I have already done so to Oklahoma and In order to pick up my daughter in the summer I would have to pay for both shares of the fair, which I don't mind but it sets me back hard having to go to court again back and forth and then going again to pick her up. I really don't want to risk anymore time as her mother might move again and make it harder... Again. Thank you for your time and any info a help you can provide have a nice day...


Senior Member
if i followed this right, OK has jurisdiction? and it has not been changed to FL?

if you went to pick up the child for the visitation and the mother refused then she is in contempt of the order. you could file the contempt charges in OK. if this continues, then it could be enough to warrant a modification of custody.

i don't understand why FL would not recognize the order from OK. then again, i'm not a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential