• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Engine Returned to me Disassembled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

egeter54

Basically, I have no other solutions other than hiring someone for cheap to figure out how to get my engine out the trunk and put it back together.

Ok let me give you the back-story.

Worst service I ever had. Similar situation another comment, we towed our Chrysler to Autonation because it dies on the road last month. The service person stated it would be $2,700+ to fix because the head gaskets had blown out! Then they also stated they needed to remove them to send in and check if it could be re-used or it had to be replaced. If if could be reused then I would pay the $2,700+ and the diagnostic of $180. If I decided not to repair with them then I would pay the diagnostic only. I told the person okay. They then called me a week and a half later stating they could not be re-used and to get it replaced would be an extra $1,700+. I told them no thanks you because I am not prepared to pay over $4,000 for a repair so just put my vehicle back together and I will get it towed somewhere else. Now my tow off rate is $1,000+ dollars! I asked for a breakdown of the charges and I am getting charged $900 dollars plus $180 for diagnostic! So they wanted me to pay for them to take my car apart, check the heads and put it back together. My father is a mechanic and we KNOW you do not have to completely take apart an engine to check cylinder heads and gaskets. They have great mechanics there and with the technology available it is totally unnecessary to determine these issues without dismantling the engine entirely. This is unacceptable and is effort to price gouge your customers! I have worked with Autonation for years and this will likely be the last because of the ridiculous charges that they will throw on you! So if you love giving away your money, go there! They will happily take it! - - - - - - Update**** SO after I paid the $1,000+ dollars, I get my Chrysler 300 towed to my home garage only to find out, MY ENTIRE ENGINE IS IN MY TRUNK!" There is no way to move the seats to get inside the trunk from inside the car and no way to open the truck since there is no key hole. There is no electricity to use the key button nor trunk button near the dash. I am totally disgusted that they told me they charged me $900 to take apart my engine and would have to charge another $900 to put it back together. Now 3months later I am sitting here with my trunk full of screws, nuts, bolts, hoses, plugs, clamps, engine, and more that no-one knows how to piece back together. They basically charged me $1,000+ dollars to take apart my engine and throw it in the trunk! Called GM and he wants $3,000 to fix their errors...Wow, $1,000 off...This cant be right!?

I am thinking about sueing the pants off them!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Then they also stated they needed to remove them to send in and check if it could be re-used or it had to be replaced.

...to get it replaced would be an extra $1,700+.
Maybe I've been out of the business too long, but why would anyone who knows anything at all about cars think that a blown gasket could be re-used or that the part would cost $1700??? A quick online search shows the part costs anywhere from $70 to $100. If your father is a mechanic as you say, then he should have seen that immediately.

Called GM and he wants $3,000 to fix their errors..
Why would you deal with GM to fix a Chrysler?

None of your post makes much sense - besides the fact that you did not ask a question.

xylene

I'm pretty certain it was explained to you that could be extra charges that you would be liable for to accomplish the repair if parts could not be used. You even say that. There was nothing you didn't understand.

They performed the diagnostic and they performed the engine disassembly.

You did not pay for having the heads done. Or the engine reinstalled.

The engine is removed for this kind of repair. That's not So it can be done on a bench stand, easily, thater than in the car.

Don't go to this place again. This is not good. But there is nothing here you didn't understand.

The mechanic doesn't owe you because repairing a Chrysler can be more expensive that the car is worth sometimes.

LdiJ

Maybe I've been out of the business too long, but why would anyone who knows anything at all about cars think that a blown gasket could be re-used or that the part would cost $1700??? A quick online search shows the part costs anywhere from $70 to $100. If your father is a mechanic as you say, then he should have seen that immediately.

Why would you deal with GM to fix a Chrysler?

None of your post makes much sense - besides the fact that you did not ask a question.
In this instance GM = General Manager, not General Motors.

You don't say what sort of engine it was.
Many overhead cam engines are what is known as interference engines and if whatever is driving the overhead cams, be it a belt, gear or chain, breaks the valves will stop and some of them will be fully extended which means the piston hits the top of the valve and if your lucky will only bend it, if unlucky it will trash the head(s) completely and take a bite out of your bank account, and the only way to find out is to take the head(s) off and look.

Mass_Shyster

It appears from this line "So they wanted me to pay for them to take my car apart, check the heads and put it back together "that they were checking to see if they could reuse the heads, not the gaskets. The heads frequently warp when the engine overheats and/or the head gasket blows.

justalayman

It appears from this line "So they wanted me to pay for them to take my car apart, check the heads and put it back together "that they were checking to see if they could reuse the heads, not the gaskets. The heads frequently warp when the engine overheats and/or the head gasket blows.
depending how much warpage occurs, they can often be machined. It’s when they crack that is where they must be replaced.

With the ops situation he needs to understand there is no sense in reassembling the engine without replacing necessary baskets and the heads if required. If he didn’t want to pay for those parts, it’s better it is left disassembled.

Anyway;

Never had a car that it was beneficial or recompended to pull the engine to change a head gasket.

With Every car I’ve ever had and most cars in general you can remove the rest seat from inside the passenger compartment. The lower cushion doesn’t ever require tool most of the time and typically there are 2-4 bolts that hold the seat back into place.

I suppose the op could hook up the battery and use the electric release though as long as they take care to make certain there are no wires that would become energized touching a ground source.

egeter54

Thanks for all the replies. As a bit of clarification. The dealership never told me how much it costs to disassemble the engine until it was time to town it off the lot. Secondly, they also did not inform me that I had to pay to reassemble it until I noticed under my hood was empty the next day. It was alot of withheld info that was not communicated until after-the-fact. I want to know if I have a legitimate court case on my hands? All of the info that would be detrimental to my pockets were never delivered beforehand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">