• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enrollment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

festy

What is the name of your state? wi
My employer has open enrollment twice a year(I believe, or maybe once). I had dropped a family plan as my wife had a better plan at her hospital rather than carry 2 insurances. We are expecting a child in June and she has begun her STDisablity as she wasn't there a full year yet. Does the addition of a family member allow for an adjustment to the open enrollment policy, or am I hosed till November when they open enroll.
Her plan covers us thru July, then the premium goes sky high if she isn't back f/t.
Thanks

Beth3

Is the premium deduction from your paycheck made on a pre-tax basis? If so, it's a 125B plan under IRS reg's and you can change your coverage if you have a "qualifying event." Adding a legal dependent is indeed a qualifying event and you have 30 days from the date of the baby's birth to add dependent coverage.

If any payroll deduction for insurance premiums is made after tax, then changing your coverage status is subject to the terms of the plan, whatever those are.

You shouldn't hesitate to ask your employer about this and I urge you to do so. These kinds of questions come up all the time.

F

festy

It is on a pretax basis, so I will be contact with my HR person to get it fired up again. Thank You for your assitance!
J.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">